Tennessee Electronic Library
TEL - Gale Power Search
Tennessee General Assembly
Elizabethton/Carter County Public Library
201 N. Sycamore Street
Elizabethton, TN 37643
Your Library Card gives you access to nearly 56,000 books, magazines, videos, and other library materials. Your card also gives you access to over 1.8 million items from the entire NEW Libraries Network (our shared online catalog), thanks to a courier service operated by the Watauga Regional Library! A free library card is available to all residents and property owners of Carter County, as well as residents of Northeast Tennessee who are eligible to check out materials in the library in their home county. To obtain a card, come to the library with identification bearing your name and current address. A child must have a parent's or guardian's signature on the application.
- Books may be checked out for two weeks.
- Magazines (except for the current issue) may be checked out for one week.
- Videos and DVDs may be checked out for one week, with one renewal period allowed. Fines for overdue video/dvds are still $1.00/day. These items are also eligible for placing holds.
- Audiobooks may be checked out for two weeks.
Available for books, magazines, and audiobooks. Items may be renewed up to two times in person, by phone, or online. Videos, DVDs, and items with waiting lists cannot be renewed.
You may place a reserve (or hold request) on a book, magazine, DVD, or audiobook that is checked out. You will be contacted by phone or postcard when the item is returned. You may enter this request in the online catalog or on a request card available at the circulation desk.
Courier and Interlibrary Loan
Courier--We share a library catalog with public libraries in Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport, Sullivan County, Mountain City, Jonesborough, Gray, Erwin, Greeneville, and Mosheim. The libraries of ETSU and Northeast State Community College are also part of the NEW Libraries Network and share our catalog. Except for new books, reference books, or books in high demand, you may ask to have any book you find in our catalog delivered to our library for you to check out. We are unable to borrow books-on-tape and other AV items. The Watauga Regional Library operates a courier service that delivers books from one library to another in Northeast Tennessee. This means that there is no charge to you for delivery of books borrowed from a library in the NEW Libraries Network.
Interlibrary Loan -- If the book you need is not available from a library served by the Watauga Regional Library courier service, we will be happy to attempt to borrow it for you from another library. However, for materials not available through the courier service, there is a $1 charge to help pay return postage. In addition, any charges from the owning library will be passed on to you.
Fines and Fees
- Overdue charges for books, magazines, and audiobooks are 10 ¢/day per item. Overdue charges for videos and DVDs are $1/day per item. Overdue charges will never exceed the replacement cost for the item.
- The fee for a damaged item will be the cost to restore the item to circulating condition, up to the replacement cost of the item. A $10 processing fee will also be added to the cost of materials that need to be replaced because of irreparable damage.
- The charge for lost items will be the replacement cost, plus a $10 processing fee.